Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Day of Surgery

Well, I got there early. Had to wake my buddy up at 6AM, sorry dude! Then we took me to the hospital: cleansed with Hibocleanse, fasted for over 12 hours, and as ready as I'm going to get! Then I have to wait, and wait, and wait! ARRRGH! Frustrated I'm ready to chew someones ear when they tell me they are on the way down for me. Finally!

I get to the pre-op room and dress down and talk to my anesthesiologist. He says they can keep me awake for the surgery, but it would take longer and they'd have to do a spinal tap. Well, I'm not anxious for that so I just let them do a general. I'm laying there when one of my docs comes in(a resident) and lets me know what they intend on doing. Then, a huge flood of nurses, taking vitals, asking questions, putting these weird socks on my legs to increase circulation, more questions, drug allergies?, any implants?, loose teeth?, etc etc. They want to give me an I.V. and I'm telling them I've got a port, can't you use that? Apparently not, so they end up sticking me for some blood, and to administer drugs. Blood work comes back good, 50 Hematocrit and they start rolling me into the OR. The Anesthesiologist is saying how great the room is and I'm noticing the "slice" of me they have pictured on the Plasma screen from my MRI.

I'm still chatting away, glad that things are rolling when the Anesthesiologist says that he's giving me the drugs. Those must be some great drugs because the last thing I remember is him saying that, me saying something smart and some movement of my arms by the nurses and then I'm half awake back in the surgical recovery room telling them to keep me on oxygen because I like it! At some point during this time in recovery my doctor comes to see me and says it went well (I think that's what he said) He shook my hand anyway. Next I'm wheeled off to the room I'll have for the night. I just vege out for a while and let the drugs wear off. I'm feeling nothing, but tired and it's hard to stay awake. I had asked them to take a picture of the cut when I was opened up, they did that for me and here it is:
From Surgery II


By way of explaining the picture, the cut runs from left to right, in the picture, on my upper right groin. You can see my hip to the left of the picture and the top of my right leg in the foreground.

No comments: