Friday, September 13, 2013

Oddities that make me wonder

On one of my recent transfusions of blood due to sever anemia, I was told that my blood type is very rare.  I didn't really think much of it at the time, but since then I've been considering...  I have this, what I'm told is a, rare disease and now I'm being told I have a rare blood type; could there be any correlation?  It doesn't seem like medical science has even looked into it very closely.  Also, I'm wondering are there other rarities in my personal biology that are markers or predispositions to my disease?  As in my blood typing, B-, just look at the "Blood Types and the Population" at the red cross website, the only blood type more rare is AB-...  so I'm drawing that perhaps my rare blood type correlates with my rare disease.

One study they have done for the correlations between biology and disease presentation is in the case of cervical ribs. The study indicates that of the patients reviewed, there was at least some degree of correlation between cervical rib presence and the incidence of disease, in my disease case 24.5% .  I don't know if I have cervical ribs, but I plan to ask.

No comments: