Monday, May 17, 2010

Round 5 Chemo down (Week 5/11 - 5/16)

Got through round 5... Started uneventfully enough with plenty of hair for one of my nurses to complain about and the rest of the time kind of just surviving the whole thing. I went up with my nephew and he dropped me off at a friends place where we sat and caught up and talked about the usual. Next day I went to my pre-chemo check-up/blood work/port access. following that I went directly to be admitted to University of Washington Medical Center. Same floor, same nurses, different room...It all went about the same, but I'm pretty sure my appetite is disappearing faster than usual, partly the expectation of the food, and certainly the drugs.

Next day, Wednesday, I think I ate. The last week went in a rush, so did my packing, and I forgot my phone charger. Sent an email of my contact information to friends and family and tried to make the most of the time. Found the longest hallway at UWMC, and tried to make a habit of walking it...see you in the K wing...
Thursday, same, last day of Adria. Think my appetite will return after that since it's a harsh one.
Friday, Appetite doesn't return. I bet I can fast through the rest of this... After Adria is removed I lay and rest, notice a "drip," think it's sweat; Notice a puddle, it's blood and IV fluids. Most action I've had all week, nurse comes in, fixes IV and makes some calls for possible skin exposure to chemo, I get new PJ's and bedding.
Saturday, Last day of Ifos; almost done; I agree to have a shake of Ensure and who knows what which sits with me for a while, but later that night it doesn't. Friend arrives who will take me back tomorrow. Have developed a headache and ask for tylenol, barely get it down and it's back up, headache is raging. Just want to get through the night, is there something you can give me; reluctantly get morphine, sleep for 4 hours, woken with headache again, more morphine and I make it to morning. Docs and nurses all come round. I make it to discharge.

Sunday, I'm discharged and after a long time with prescriptions I finally get my Neulasta and am on my way. Sleep most of the drive back, Thank you April for coming to get me!

Even make it to work today. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

No comments: