Monday, February 27, 2012

Blood work and growing concerns

It's been over a week since my Trabectedin was administered and now is the time to get blood work checked. I go in early and it's pretty quick. The results are good and my oncology nurses are happy to tell me to just watch for any signs of bleeding, everything else is in normal range. I'm not surprised, I've felt pretty good since Friday.

I'm not convinced the treatment is having much effect, the swelling in my leg returned and has progressed. I'm feeling some pains that I'm convinced are the metastases.

I would like the treatment to work, but it isn't a cure and I'm afraid to waste time on it. The nurse who administered the pump indicated some patients have been on it for over 2 years... That to me sounds like hell; going up every 21 days, being sick for 6 more days, progressively getting better and still running the risk of any number of complications and no cure. That's only if the treatment shows any sign of working, if not, then I guess my options are down to 2.

Which I'm kind of leaning toward at this point because I'm not convinced the treatment is having any affect. My leg is swollen to a greater degree than it has ever been and it's painful and cumbersome to move. I'm very frustrated because I feel like I am steadily losing the things I loved to do; difficult and painful to run, to ride my bike, to play soccer, to play ultimate...

No comments: