Thursday, February 21, 2013

HIPEC

At the beginning of my journey with this disease, my brother and I shared the though of "couldn't the surgeons just open me up, remove the tumor, and then flush the area with chemo?"  At the time I wasn't aware of the HIPEC procedure.  HIPEC  It looks almost exactly like what we had discussed and definitely like something I would have liked to try.  In my case I think it could have been accomplished in a localized manner at my original tumor site; a localized hyperthermic chemotherapy.  So, in that case it would be less gruesome than the full HIPEC procedure, but possibly have been beneficial.  The only complications I can envision would have been the proximity of the nerve and major blood vessels in the area.

I don't believe they would allow me to have HIPEC now because of the mets in my lungs, but I plan to ask about it or something similar.

Because I don't feel the current standard of care in cancer is nearly as aggressive as they think it is, I keep looking at different options, trying to see how I may have benefitted from them and am creating what I think is a much more aggressive approach.  In my mind the current standard of care is designed based on patients that were either not very healthy to begin with, at late stages in there lives, and with a generally passive mindset.  what I think is a good roadmap is outlined here:  A better approach?

1 comment:

Amby670 said...

The best thing you can do is be an advocate for yourself. You know your research- just find a doctor who wants to work with you.