Monday, October 6, 2008

PORTed

Sadly it sounds cooler than what you get. No, it's not some kind of cool electronic interface that allows a computer to hook up to you and monitor your health. Instead, its a plastic and silicon tube that runs under my skin and up to my jugular where it makes entry and descends further into the junction of my superior vena cava. All sorts of fun stuff will be performed through the port; blood draws, chemo, I can even be fed total nutrition through the thing, but I don't think I'll have to have that done.

The day started early. I knew Teresa and I had to get into Seattle, so I was worried about traffic and we left early. The drive went well, and I made it with plenty of time to spare. I checked in early, but that didn't help speed things along and I ended up taking a nap after they stuck me for the anesthetic I'd be getting for the "surgery." I woke up a bit cranky since things were taking so long, but eventually things got under way. First I was moved to another waiting room, the Dr. came and explained a port to me(the second time), then they shaved a part of my chest, and marked me where they wanted to perform the port installation, as if the bald spot wasn't a dead give away.

After that they had me walk into the OR and lay on a table with a towel under my shoulder blades, apparently to elevate my chest. The last thing I remember was the nurse asking me to tell her when I felt light-headed. Well, I remember moving my head around to see if I got dizzy or anything, looking at the ceiling tiles, then nothing. I don't even remember clearly if I got down off the table myself or not. Just know that I was wheeled into the recovery room and brought some snacks. Pepsi, string cheese and crackers, which I wolfed down since I'd been fasting for the past 12+ hours.

No comments: